Thursday, December 9, 2004
- xmlhttprequest: add interactivity to your static web pages
Thursday, February 17, 2005
- PHP Oddity
- Excerpt: Discovered a little oddity with PHP and Firefox. In my root .htaccess file I have: php_flag zlib.output_compression On php_value zlib.output_compression_level 9 This causes all PHP files to be compressed, if the user agent accepts compression. My error page is also a PHP script, mostly to trap the referring URL and include that in the page. Entirely by accident tonight I discovered that the error...
Thursday, February 24, 2005
- More on XMLHttpRequest
- Bloglines & Forbes.com rss feeds
- Excerpt: I noticed a minor irritating problem with the Forbes.com RSS feeds, at least in their interaction with Bloglines. The feeds are RSS 2.0 format and include a <link> element. Bloglines uses the URI in the <link> element as though it were a <base> URI for all other URIs in the feed, so you end up with links like http://www.forbes.com/news/http://www.forbes.com/technology/2005/02/24/cz_dl_ibm.html?partner=rss for IBM's Growth Engine Sputters....
Thursday, March 31, 2005
- Excerpt: Minor updates. Of course, I tested this with MSIE and Firefox on a PC, faced off against Safari, Firefox, and MSIE 5 on a mac. I made one little tweak to the margins and it totally destoryed the layout on MSIE for no good reason. I also think I've fixed the comments. Not that I expect any other than links to poker, phentermine, vioxx,...
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
- Wow: Using Google Maps to display Chicago CTA routes
Monday, May 9, 2005
- Excerpt: Nivi : Greasemonkey will blow up business models (as well as your mind): Greasemonkey lets you mash-up websites. It lets you extend and script websites and integrate that script right into the original site as if the designers had intended it to be there. It lets you use their web site, their data, their servers, their work to serve your purpose and function. There...
Saturday, July 2, 2005
- Tagging for Fun and Finding
- Excerpt: OK/Cancel » Blog Archive » Tagging for Fun and Finding Tagging in general works well when the terms being used for tagging are used for aggregating like items. Tags can be helpful when the work used for the tag is even in the information or object being tagged, it is more helpful when used to on information and objects where the word does not...
Saturday, September 17, 2005
- Don't depend on my markup for your application
- Excerpt: When I was a certain corporate webmaster, I'd frequently be escalated because of a change in the markup for www·ibm·com. See, people would write applications which screenscraped something off www·ibm·com, perhaps the stock quote, our news headlines (which was perverse since we had a CDF feed from like 1997 on), whatever. People would screen–scrape and rely on the precise structure of the page, rather...
Sunday, October 2, 2005
- Elsewhere: a look at IBM's web feeds
- Excerpt: I got distracted tonight by the discovery of a large batch of RSS and Atom feeds at IBM. Since I had ten thousand other things to do, of course I spent a couple of hours looking around at the feeds and found some issues which I've written up here...
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
- Two links on highly scalable databases
- Excerpt: SQL Databases and Internet-Scale Applications: When you build web applications that have to scale up to millions of users, you sometimes end up questioning almost every aspect of your design as you hit scalability problems. Where have all the good databases gone: Users of databases tend to ask for three very simple things: Dynamic Schema Dynamic Partioning of Data Modern Indexing My message is...
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
- Some requests are my command
- Excerpt: I received a complaint today about the automated posting of links from my del.icio.us account. Now, I think it's a nifty, short-cut way of blogging stuff I have read and thought to be interesting, however at least a portion of the large audience for this site disagrees. So I have recoded the templates for the site, at great personal cost and effort, to include...
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
- epcostello.net v4.1
- Excerpt: A brief explanation about the ongoing redesign of this site.
Note, the site does not work well with MSIE.
I just don't care anymore.
Friday, July 20, 2007
- Your Search Results are not a Suitable Replacement for Navigation
- Excerpt: Our author buys a new Apple Airport Extreme, discovers that the manager application is only available on CD after many attempts to search for information on the Apple web site.